Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums

Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums. Like most online communities, you must first register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Bob Seger Net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mainstreet: Guitar or Sax?

• Please log in to reply

musicfan37

Posted 20 May 2002 - 01:28 AM

musicfan37

Silver Bullet

• Members
  • 84 posts
Which version of "Mainstreet" do you prefer: The studio recording with the guitar lead or the live recording featuring Alto on sax?

EricV8

Posted 20 May 2002 - 08:55 AM

EricV8

Shinin' Brightly

• Members
  • 332 posts
Great question... I prefer the live version with sax.

However, I very much dislike the live version of Horizontal Bop with sax, and MUCH prefer the studio version with guitar... Anybody else have an opinion?

musicfan37

Posted 20 May 2002 - 10:54 AM

musicfan37

Silver Bullet

• Members
  • 84 posts
I definately prefer the live version with the sax. The emotion Alto gives to the song is outstanding.

Rocco

Posted 20 May 2002 - 09:56 PM

Rocco

ALL-SEEING RULER OF THE UNIVERSE

• Members
  • 541 posts
Let me weigh in in favor of the original "Back In '72" studio version with the guitar intro. I bouught that album the day it arrived in an East Lansing record store while attending Michigan State University and played it endlessly. The live version with Alto's sax just always sounded "wrong" to me after having become accustomed to the original piece.

I have much the same problem with Katmandu's live version in that it dropped an entire verse ("I've got no problem with the Midwest, I've lived there all my life, I've been their guest...")from the Beautiful Loser studio version.

I know changes are common in live versions of the longer classic songs (Observe The Kinks "Celluloid Heroes" where the George Sanders/Mickey Rooney verse was dumped from all successive live performances of the tune for the past 25+ years)but I think that radical lyric and instrumental substitutions generally do a dis-service to the original material and are rarely an improvement to the presentation of the piece.

Anyone remember The Shadows of Knight's "Gloria '69" or Modern English's remake of "I Melt With You"? Probably not, but both represent desperate attempts to remake something that didn't NEED remaking. It'somewhat akin to those worthless "Directors Cuts" of blockbuster feature fims that genuinely need no further tinkering by some perfectionist director who's ego is at stake.

Besides, how could you possibly improve on the stinging perfection of something like an "East Side Story"?

Guest_mysticlilley_*

Posted 21 May 2002 - 03:43 PM

Guest_mysticlilley_*
  • Guests
on the subject of covers...i dont think the covering artists normally think that it can be done better...at least i would hope not...and yes i remember both covers that you mentioned rocco...one would hope that the cover is done in honor of an esteemed artist or song. i love hearing coversif they are well done...in fact my favorite version of that lovely ballad 'One' is the version by Filter on the Xfiles soundtrack. it cracks me up.

i can't say that i like either version of main street better...bobs voice makes my heart ache...but altos sax contains so much emotion...i enjoy them both equally for different reasons. course that has always been one of my favorites...so i will take it any way that i can get it.

and i promise i will get on my newbie review of back in '72 pronto...i have been working my butt off the past couple of weeks...put in 72 hours last week....and i am beat.

Guest_Noah jr._*

Posted 21 May 2002 - 06:00 PM

Guest_Noah jr._*
  • Guests
ummm.....sorry to interupt but what does back in 72 have to do with mainstreet?
I like alto's sax on mainstreet.

Here's one for ya-
Witch do you prefer
old time rock and roll studio or
the longer live version without piano intro?

Rocco

Posted 21 May 2002 - 06:21 PM

Rocco

• Members
  • 541 posts
...errrrr...oooooops

EricV8

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:51 PM

EricV8

Shinin' Brightly

• Members
  • 332 posts
It's OK Rocco, I like the live version of Turn The Page, with sax intro, better than the Back in 72 studio version too. :D

[Edited on 5/21/02 by EricV8]

musicfan37

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:54 PM

musicfan37

Silver Bullet

• Members
  • 84 posts

ummm.....sorry to interupt but what does back in 72 have to do with mainstreet?
I like alto's sax on mainstreet.

Here's one for ya-
Witch do you prefer
old time rock and roll studio or
the longer live version without piano intro?

I like the live version better of "Old Time Rock and Roll".

Guest_mysticlilley_*

Posted 22 May 2002 - 07:22 AM

Guest_mysticlilley_*
  • Guests
i lack sleep

Shake Baby Shake

Posted 11 June 2002 - 08:42 PM

Shake Baby Shake

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 904 posts
I personally like the live version with Altos sax intro,but what's more memorable for me is Drews "soaring" guitar solo in the middle. I've often felt Bob's studio work was missing something(what I don't know!) but the two live albums are personal faves. The first time I heard the Nine Tonite lp was on the radio. Mom wouldln,t let me listen to it(turn that damn thing down!)so I had to listen on my alarm clock radio-under my pillow and blankets! The live Katmandu is probably my favorite tune of all time.

Noah

Posted 11 June 2002 - 09:51 PM

Noah

Official SegerNet Sports Reporter

• Members
  • 731 posts
Lucifer or
live version of lucifer ? :D

Rocco

Posted 28 June 2002 - 10:16 PM

Rocco

• Members
  • 541 posts
ANY version of Lucifer is alright by me! C'mon! Let's all go Barrelhousin', people!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users