Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums

Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums. Like most online communities, you must first register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Bob Seger Net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Mask" Director's Cut drops Seger for Springsteen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike from GR

Mike from GR

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

This question and answer was posted on a pop culture forum. I knew the back story, but didn't know that Springsteen's music replaced Seger in the dvd.

On the subject of "Mask", it was on Tuner Classic Movies a while back in a shocker, and I watched it. It was late, and I thought I was hallucinating, but all the Bob Seger songs had been replaced by Bruce Springsteen songs. Well, that and two deleted scenes that were deservedly deleted. One being a stab at a "Rocky and Cher" type skit. My question is how rare is it for a filmmaker to change the soundtrack like that at a later date? Sometimes it's done to save royalty checks, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. For the record, I prefer "Roll Me Away" as the final song over "Promised Land".

Thanks,
-Geoff in TX

A: Thank you for those other suggestions of movies with depressing endings. It is actually uncommon for a director to go back and change songs in a movie. This is usually done because the rights to a song have lapsed for television and DVD use. Sometimes a song is unavailable due to certain issues or the studio takes away the soundtrack decisions from the director that he could gain back at a later date.

The situation with Mask is a bit inverted from what you think. The Bruce Springsteen songs were actually the original soundtrack. They were taken out shortly before the film's release due to the film's studio and Springsteen's record company not being able to come to terms on royalty payments. Springsteen was the favorite artist of the real Rocky Dennis, played by Eric Stoltz in the movie. Director Peter Bogdanovich felt the music as he structured it in the film marked the passage of time well and fit the individual scenes. In 2004 when Bogdanovich was asked to do a director's cut for DVD release he and Springsteen worked to have the original soundtrack restored. So who gets screwed here? Bob Seger. What did he ever do to anybody?

A photo of Seger hoisting his RNRHOF Trophy has this caption:

"You know where you can shove this Springsteen."

Find it here: http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/57120

#2 fine memories

fine memories

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

I know they used Seger's music as a back-up, and they were never happy about it. It's still amazing that they went back after all these years and changed the sound-track......

#3 Lock N Load

Lock N Load

UMC

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

Hey Mike: What a bummer! :( "Mask" was one of my favorite movies!! Guess I'll just hold on tight to my bootleg video copy-sure won't waste my hard earned dollar on the "new improved dvd!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users