Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums

Welcome to Bob Seger Net Forums. Like most online communities, you must first register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Bob Seger Net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rare Bob Seger Video Found!

• Please log in to reply

dawayne

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

dawayne

Guitar, SBB

• Members
  • 5 posts
It's been 26 years in the waiting but clear clean footage of myself playing with Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band has been discovered.

Seger hired a pro film crew back on our 1983 "The Distance Tour". They filmed 2 complete nights in Atlanta at a venue called The Omni. They also filmed at Cobo Hall in Detroit.

Seger and his manager Punch Andrews have never released any of this footage commercially but various bits and pieces were added to M-TV type promo videos during that year for 5 videos - Old Time Rock n Roll - Roll Me Away - Even Now - Makin' Thunderbirds - Turn The Page.

Old Time Rock n Roll shows bits and pieces from the Detroit footage laced with bits from the Tom Cruise movie "Risky Business". In the footage recently found, it's all concert footage with no Tom Cruise - never before seen complete live performance of that song - not lip synched like the Tom Cruise version.

I can't tell you how much it means to have this after 26 years. Because Seger and Punch have released such little Seger product into the marketplace as far as concert footage on video or DVD, the rarity of this astounds me.

It's virtually a piece of my life that has very little documented proof. I have tons of Chicago - I have my band Private Parts with Martina McBride on backing vocals from 1986 (we're both from Wichita, KS) - I have an entire concert from France with Veronique Sanson, etc.

But very little of my time with Bob Seger was pro shot, clean or complete. There exists a few audience shot bootleg videos and audio recordings from that 1983 tour - very few photos - some magazine articles/interviews as well as some audio interviews from Bob and some I did with various Kansas and Los Angeles radio stations.

I also saved every newspaper review from the tour and they were all very positive. The central theme to almost every review compared Bob to Bruce Springsteen and me to Bruce's lead guitarist Little Steven Van Zandt http://en.wikipedia....teven_Van_Zandt

I'll never forget collecting so many great reviews that when we received a rough one, I mentioned it to Bob. It was when we played multiple nights at The Forum in LA. It was from the LA Times. I mentioned it to Bob right before we went on to play.

That was a huge mistake. It ate at Bob through the whole show that night. After it was over, Bob walked up to me and told me to never do that again. Then he left and went back to the hotel. With a ton of celebrity guests waiting for him in the private Forum club.

When I returned to the band dressing room, one of those celebrity guests was standing there waiting for Bob to return to the dressing room. I felt like such an ass for bumming Bob out. The whole band was in there and they all gave me the look of frozen death.

Except for the celebrity guest standing there right in front of me who was oblivious to what had happened. The guest turned to me and politely asked "so when's Bob getting here?".....the band looked at me as I explained what happened and I was honest about it. I was still rather new at "the big time" as that was my first major gig.

The guest put his arm around me and told me not to worry about it - that he would call Bob and help smooth things out and put in a good word for me - that I never meant any harm. I shook his hand and thanked him profusely. The guest was Bruce Springsteen.

Old Time Rock n Roll with Tom Cruise - lip synched

Old Time Rock n Roll - band only recently discovered footage - live (not lip synched)

download the mp3 audio from this video clip:
https://www.yousendi...RMm10TWswTVE9PQ

Mike from GR

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Mike from GR

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 985 posts
Thanks, Dawayne!

It was great to see such nice, clean footage from a concert. I loved it.

fine memories

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

fine memories

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 734 posts
Outstanding Dawayne. Thanks for this.

SegerNet

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

SegerNet

Custom titles available at 1,000 posts OR by request after 1 yr.

• Admin
  • 2,420 posts
Thanks for posting this here, great video and you got to love the shout-out at 1:42! I never knew you were so prominent in the band back then. Well, now you have proof! And here's hoping you find more!

Lastly you list Chatfield in the youtube description, yet I dont see him anywhere. Last tour you couldn't miss him!

rdubois85

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

rdubois85

Certified Segerphile

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
Great to see you back here Dawayne! Thanks for taking the time to post this for us. It is great to see the actual recording where so many clips from a music videos were pulled from.

I remember chatting with Mark during the last tour when I got the opportunity to meet the band backstage in Boston. He made a joke about how it was nice to finally be playing lead in the band - 83 was Dawayne, no Mark in 86, and Tim Mitchell in 96...

23 years later Mark played lead in a tour.

I know in the recordings I have from the 83 tour, it seems that Mark comes on stage when he is needed, and ducks out on songs he is not playing on. ("There's another member that comes up here from time to time to play guitar, Mark Chatfield from Ohio.")

dawayne

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

dawayne

Guitar, SBB

• Members
  • 5 posts

Thanks for posting this here, great video and you got to love the shout-out at 1:42! I never knew you were so prominent in the band back then. Well, now you have proof! And here's hoping you find more!

Lastly you list Chatfield in the youtube description, yet I dont see him anywhere. Last tour you couldn't miss him!

When I auditioned with Bob Seger at the Royal Oak Theater back in January 1983, they had already basically hired Mark Chatfield but I was the last to audition. After I played a few songs, Bob asked if I could stay in Detroit for a few more days which I did.

On Thursday he called me right at 6pm just like he said he would and told me "Bailey, you be the one!". So I was basically hired as a soloist and Mark was hired to play rhythm. Bob had Mark play on around 8 songs or so and he sat out when he didn't play. I would have prefered he play on every song but it was Bob's call.

I added his name in the credits out of respect even though he's not in the video - he's still part of the family team. And yes, I was a full time stage participant - especially as a backing vocalist. If you can find the footage, House Behind A House featured Bob, Shaun Murphy and me singing the entire song together.

I'm a high tenor singer and sang the high harmonies on that song. You can hear my vocals with Chicago and my own solo material here http://www.myspace.com/dawaynebailey

lindab

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

lindab

Certified Segerphile

• Members
  • 2,392 posts
Dawayne, Dawayne, Dawayne...you are da man!!! WOW....that is awesome. I always felt teased watching the Risky Business video. Knowing that there was more where that came from. Whew....that made my day. I saw "the Distance" tour at Cobo. Also saw Seger in March of, I think it was 1984 or 5 at the Joe. WOW.... So Dawayne, were you the first lead after Drew Abbott? Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Bob biggest and most sincere fans. You KNEW we would appreciate it. I am so happy for you that this has been found, what an honor for you. Bob KNEW a great lead when he heard it.

The story about the bad review and Springsteen to the rescue was great too. I can only imagine how bad you felt after such an innocent comment to Bob.

Thanks so much Dawayne, and YES...it is great to see you back here. Oh, one more question...is the blue guitar the one you sold on ebay, the one we could have all had!!?!?!?

dawayne

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

dawayne

Guitar, SBB

• Members
  • 5 posts

Dawayne, Dawayne, Dawayne...you are da man!!! WOW....that is awesome. I always felt teased watching the Risky Business video. Knowing that there was more where that came from. Whew....that made my day. I saw "the Distance" tour at Cobo. Also saw Seger in March of, I think it was 1984 or 5 at the Joe. WOW.... So Dawayne, were you the first lead after Drew Abbott? Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Bob biggest and most sincere fans. You KNEW we would appreciate it. I am so happy for you that this has been found, what an honor for you. Bob KNEW a great lead when he heard it.

The story about the bad review and Springsteen to the rescue was great too. I can only imagine how bad you felt after such an innocent comment to Bob.

Thanks so much Dawayne, and YES...it is great to see you back here. Oh, one more question...is the blue guitar the one you sold on ebay, the one we could have all had!!?!?!?

Thank you for the kind words. Bob didn't tour after 1983 until 1986. I was still in the band in 1984 and 85 and we used that time for recording the Like A Rock album between Detroit and Miami. And yes, I came in right after Drew Abbott.

I lasted until 1986 which is when Rick Vito and Fred Tackett took over and they did the 86 tour along with the video for Shakedown.

I did post that guitar on ebay recently for a dog rescue charity and it was bought by a friend of mine who has an intense Chicago collection. I played that guitar with Chicago during the Chicago 18 tour and retired it soon after. I toured and recorded with Chicago until 1995. I wrote and sing lead on the title track to their recent CD release called Stone of Sisyphus.

I'm not sure if Bob really enjoyed my guitar solo style after I got the gig. He approached me on stage one night and I don't think he was too thrilled when he leaned in and yelled "Bailey, would you please return to Earth?!"....

I knew he had busted me and discovered that I really was a bit of a fish out of water playing his music. I had several other clues to this. Even before I auditioned when I was playing with an artist named Gerard McMahon in Los Angeles, our drummer was from Detroit and his name was Jimmy Hunter http://jimmyhunter.c...nd-history.html

I asked if anyone knew what Seger was like and Jimmy immediately caught on that I might be flying to Detroit for the audition. I assured him that I was not and merely curious. Jimmy then told me outright that Seger would never hire me because I wore my guitar too high and was much too Jazzed out for Bob.

I'll never forget the phone call to Jimmy after Bob hired me and the sound of his voice when he learned that I ended up passing the audition. He was a bit shocked to say the least.

Other examples of my not fitting in came when we were riding in the limo on the way to a show and I put a tape of Pat Metheny into the car's player and Don Brewer ejected the tape immediately - threw it on the floor and put in his own tape of ZZ Top's Eliminator.

Again, we were all lounging by the pool one day and I had my headphones on. Our road manager Bill Blackwell walked up and looked at me and made the comment "It looks like Bailey is listening to that "Jungle Music" again".....and sure enough, I was listening to "Elephant Talk" by King Crimson.

I am a big Zappa head and love all of the weirdest music I can find, but I still love Bob's music and singing and consider it the highest honor of my career to have gotten the chance to hang with him and the band. He's such a great human being, a serious band leader, monster singer/songwriter, funny, smart, kind and just the best.

Bob gave me my first big break and believed in me enough to give me a chance and tolerated me for 3 years and I'm forever grateful and humbled.

When I was a kid in 1969 - the year of Woodstock, several albums came out that I played along with for months on end. Debut albums from Mountain, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, YES, Santana, Free, CS&N, Blind Faith, Led Zeppelin, Beck-Ola, Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Bob Seger System and many others.

Ramblin Gamblin Man was on my turntable constantly, along with Chicago and Grand Funk and it's been a dream come true to work with these legends. Don Brewer and I wrote a song together back in the Seger days and I have a recording of it played by the Silver Bullet Band with Don singing lead.

One of these days, I'd like to see that released as a bonus track somewhere.....stranger things have happened.

http://upload.wikime...en/d/d6/Ramblin

lindab

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

lindab

Certified Segerphile

• Members
  • 2,392 posts
Yes Dawayne, it was 1986. We had just moved into a house that we had built for us. Seems it took forever to finish that house and after 2 nights in it we headed to Detroit to see Bob at the Joe. Get my years mixed up, after all, that was a long time ago. Love to hear your stories about your life with Bob and the boys. Keep posting them!!!!

Gazza

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

Gazza

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 778 posts
Great to have you join us again Dawaye.I love the video (might love it even more without the Family video logo slapped across it!) and really enjoy reading your anecdotes about your time with the band.The stories really help us as fans get an insite into what it must have been like being in such a band.Its not as easy as it might first seem.That intro to Old Time Rock and Roll is neat!Some fans who have seen so many of Bobs tours say that the 83 tour was the best Seger tour.
Well we can only hope to see that live concert footage from the earlier tours such as the 83 tour released one day.Fingers crossed.Personally I think Bob will retire from performing before they release a concert fiilm.

FanOFBob

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

FanOFBob

UMC

• Members
  • 172 posts
Tks for posting video link and also giving us a glimpse to your relationship with bob and the band. Please tell us more when you get the time.

lindab

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

lindab

Certified Segerphile

• Members
  • 2,392 posts
Dawayne...reading your posts again, I could feel the pride and awe that you feel about playing, not only with Seger, but with the others that you always listened to and loved. What a dream come true. WOW....just to have your courage to audition with these artists says a lot about you and your talent. I envy you, I really do. And I thank you again for sharing, we are loving it. More please!!!

Snowbird

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

Snowbird

Shinin' Brightly

• Validating
  • 436 posts
It's great to hear the wonderful stories. The video is just awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
I met you on the Distance tour in Houston ,Texas and have an photo with Chris and you. It was a great concert and better yet to get the bands autograph!!

rdubois85

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

rdubois85

Certified Segerphile

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
can't say that without sharing the photo...

segerfan10

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

segerfan10

Like A Rock

• Members
  • 810 posts
Thanks, Dawayne for digging this one up and for your stories! It always drove me nuts every time I would watch the OTR&R video to see live footage in the beginning and then Tom Cruise in his briefs! :lol: yes, I know it was a hit video, and I do believe that it was mutual in that it brought that song back into the spotlight, and that the dancing scene helped Cruise become a star. However, this live footage is great to see! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users